Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Not So Much About a Bunny

Amidst goodbyes and good times, I embarked to the Boise South Zone to serve with Elder Dustin Bitter from Cypress, TX. The Boise South Zone is the zone I began my mission in (although I began in the Boise South Stake and now I'm in the Boise East and Boise Young Single Adult Stakes) and will be the area I end in. It's a mixed shroud of emotions when you come to realize that you've just been transferred for the last time; when you think, The next time I open this suitcase, it'll be in Raleigh.

Weird.

An interesting contrast is that of my experience in this Zone 18-21 months ago and now. Before, I was a greenie, very inexperienced, totally lost and without a clear purpose or direction. Now, I can think back on those mistakes or confusing times and smile, knowing that it was a refining process. Life itself is a process similar to that, as are many of it's major experiences. We begin very disoriented, perhaps even afraid. But as we press on with a hope that God will help us make it to the other side and that we're passing through trials or periods of uncertainty for a reason and not just by happenstance, we always will eventually emerge victorious, better individuals at the end than we were at the start.

Orson F. Whitney said: “No pain that we suffer, no trial that we experience is wasted. … All that we suffer and all that we endure, especially when we endure it patiently, builds up our characters, purifies our hearts, expands our souls, and makes us more tender and charitable. … It is through sorrow and suffering, toil and tribulation, that we gain the education that we come here to acquire.”

As one contemplates trials and suffering, one cannot but help to think of Our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. The scope of His suffering in this life, specifically in the Garden of Gethsemane, evade human understanding. He lived a perfect life, yet suffered for us. Not only the best of us, but even the vilest of sinners. His was a vicarious sacrifice for all of the children of God who would ever be born of man. He did it because His Father had asked it of Him. He did it because it was His responsibility as the Savior and Redeemer of the world. But, incomprehensibly, he did it primarily out of love for us.

We, who are terse and unloving to our fellowman. We, who are selfish, stubborn and disobedient. We, who all too often forget Him and His Father and everything They've done for for us.

I'd like to leave you with a brief summary of thoughts from Jeffery R Holland, one of the Apostles of the Church, on Easter and why Christ would do what He did. His comments help me more fully understand my Savior's love for me and I hope it can do the same for you.


(If you can't see the video, click this link to watch: CLICK HERE)

Always,

Elder Hopkins

0 comments:

Post a Comment

| Top ↑ |