Wednesday, July 15, 2009

First Letter!!! Wednesday, July 15th

Dear All:

So the first week at the MTC is over and it's been an awesome experience. I'm so glad I decided to come. I've learned so much already and am really itching to get to Boise so I can start getting to work serving the Lord.

I'm the District Leader of my district, which means I have tons of responsibilities and things, but I think it's helping me to be able to organize better and gain leadership experience. District 36D is as follows:

Elder Allred - My companion and a really nice guy. He can frustrate me at times, but he definitely helps me keep schedules and reminds me of things I need to do if I ever forget. He's essentially my counselor. He gets tons of letters from his family in Layton, Utah. He's going to Oakland, CA.


Elder Cruz - Another Boise Elder who is a funny guy. He's from Texas and he speaks fluent Spanish but is speaking English for the mission. He's really tall and he and I get along well. He's in the same room as Elder Allred and I am.

Elder Martinez - The third of us Boise missionaries, he's also from Texas and speaks just a tiny bit of Spanish. He's a huge history buff and is excited to be able to go on the mission, although he and Elder Cruz are dreading the cold weather that awaits in Boise.

Elder Tang - Lived in China, moved to Brooklyn four years ago. One of the happiest people I've ever met, I can tell how the Gospel has blessed his life. He speaks over 5 languages fluently, as well as a few others in bits and pieces. He is just fantastic. I'm sad because he's going to Oakland, so I won't be able to serve with him. We decided, though, that if I get into BYU when I get home, we're going to hang out all the time. Awesome Possum.

Elder Davis - A great kid from Annabella Utah, a tiny town, who is a very diligent worker. He gets mail almost everyday and care packages too. We always make fun of him for it, but are secretly jealous of he and Elder Allred's wealth of letters. He has a girl waiting for him and we all wish him the best.

Elder Greenhalgh - A fellow southerner from Kentucky, he also can appreciate the weather out here much more than Elder Allred or Elder Davis, who are both from Utah. He's a fun-loving guy and he likes to keep things from getting too serious.

Elder Asuao - A Samoan from Hawaii, he is an integral part of our district. Anytime he smiles, it makes me laugh, and we joke with each other a lot. We've helped each other through some hard times already, and it'll be tough to see him leave for Oakland with the rest of the guys. He also likes to talk to the Sister missionaries and I always laugh at him for doing it and we make fun of each other whenever the Sisters are around.

It's a great place here and I love all these guys already. A part of me, of course, is still with all of you back home and I miss you all very much, although NONE of you have sent me any letters yet :P

I'll write again next Wednesday, but for now, I have to run! I love you all and miss you and appreciate your support in my going on a mission. I know this is where I need to be. I feel a great peace here that I haven't felt in quite a while.

I love you all,

Elder Mike Hopkins

0 comments:

Post a Comment

| Top ↑ |