Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Turkey Lurkey (11/23/2010)

So, before anything else, know that it snowed a bunch here in Meridian! I don't know the actual amount that's fallen, but it's been under 30 all day today, which I LOVE. It's way icy all over the roads and I'm just glad I have a Utah native to drive the car, because driving last winter in Rupert in snowy weather was a harrowing experience, to be sure. But it's winter again. Almost too soon, it seems. I feel like just yesterday Elder Henao and I were walking around snowy Rupert and spending Christmas in Christmas City, USA. Time flies, man.

We drove to Cascade, ID this past week to meet up with the Elders up there and do an interview with someone who wanted to be baptized. It's about a 2 hour drive on some twisty, winding roads on the edge of a river; a way fun drive. Elder Landeen and I took the trip with Elder Anderson and had such a good time just talking, listening to some of the addresses given from the past General Conference on CD and stopping to take pictures along the way. Elder Anderson, at a gas station on the way home, decided to get some ice cream. They charge for the cone and say there's "no limit" on the ice cream amount. Apparently they didn't (and neither did I) know that Elder Anderson is the undisputed ice cream cone-making KING. He put SO much ice cream on that little cone, I couldn't believe it. Here's a picture:This past Sunday, I had the occasion of speaking in church in one of the wards we cover. I was asked to speak on...surprise!...Thanksgiving. After giving much thought, and studying the scriptures and recent talks given in Conference (like on the way to Cascade) I decided my talk would have a main theme, which was: Life's Not Fair.

See, I figured it all out. Sometimes bad things are going to happen to good people. sometimes tragedy strikes when we're not ready. And sometimes we have a raincloud that hovers only over us. But what I realized is that usually, more than we give credit for, GOOD things happen. More often than not, good things happen to good people. More often than not, blessings are bestowed upon us when we least expect it. And more often than not, the sun shines happily upon our daily routine. The message I want to share with whoever reads these posts (all three of you :P) is that life's NOT fair; we have it WAY too good to think that it is. If life was fair, we'd probably be miserable a lot more than we would be happy.

So this season, give thanks. Thank God for family and friends who stand by you and support you when knees are weak and arms are heavy. Thank God for food on tables, roofs overhead and clothing on backs. Thank God that life's not fair. He loves us. I know it. And I know that as we realize the many blessings He's given us day to day, we'll come to know that love more fully. I'll leave you with the lyrics to one of my favorite songs:

When upon life’s billows you are tempest-tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings; name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord has done.

Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
Count your many blessings; ev’ry doubt will fly,
And you will be singing as the days go by.

So amid the conflict, whether great or small,
Do not be discouraged; God is over all.
Count your many blessings; angels will attend,
Help and comfort give you to your journey’s end.


Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. Know that I am thankful for each and every one of you. Please take time this holiday to count your many blessings "and it will surprise you what the Lords has done."

With all possible gratitude,

- ZL Hops

0 comments:

Post a Comment

| Top ↑ |